Saturday, September 29, 2007

9/27/07 Orcas Island Adventure



When I was 3 months old my parents who were living in Roseburg Oregon took a visit to Orcas Island to visit a relative and they feel in love with the beauty of the island and it's intimate community, they packed up and moved here at once. My dad got a job working for the telephone company and bartending at night, my mom cocktailed and sang in the lounge at Rosario's Resort. They only stayed for 18 months or so but I have some great pictures of me as a baby in a polka dot bathing suit playing with chickens. We had a pig named Lolita and it was our friend and we loved her, but when she got big they took her to be made into food and my folks were wondering if that would upset me.. well the meal came and i sat happily eating and asked with a smile, "is this Lolita" . no early childhood trauma here.

We spent the night at a campground in Anacortes and got on the ferry 5 miles down the road, it is a big ferry, holds probably 40 cars and 8 or so trucks or motorhomes. It cost us $185 to drive the car and motorhome accross and it was about an hour long ride. We made two other stops first at Lopez and Shaw Island before Orcas and the scenery was gorgeous even though it was grey and overcast and no sun at all that day. When we landed we headed to Eastsound the main town, very cute, 3 blocks wide and 6 blocks wide, health food market, church (with daily AA meetings), hotels, restaurants and shops, sat farmers market, 3 yoga studios and a library, what else do you need??

Our suite at the WorldMark resort at Deer Harbot was awaiting us, we booked 2 nights in a bungalow with a harborview and get this.. a private jacuzzi! I spent 2 1/2 days in that jacuzzi, literally i went in every 90 minutes or so. It was heaven, they had breakfast for us and 100's of videos for borrowing, we chilled out and relaxed.

I finished the Barbara Kingsolver book, it was so good, all about love and the fears that shut us off from the beauty that we are and i started On the Road by Jack Kerouac, what a shift. Ok I know it's a classic, speaks to the beat era, and i'm only half way through, but it is just about a bunch of adventurous drunks, they race from here to there, looking and questing for meaning and love and then they get drunk and create a big mess and drama and go out again the next day and do it again. Apparently he died of Alcoholism so I don't know how much clarity he ever got.. but as i said i am only half way through and I am enjoying the book, it is like listening to stories in AA, they are very entertaining. And i do understand those who are driven by excitement and the constant need for going here and there, my dad was one of them and i think i have a bit of that myself. But i must say that i am very grateful that i am no longer looking for fulfillment in drugs and alcohol and thinking what a great time i am having when in fact i am just living a lie of tremendous aloneness. I am so glad that i can laugh and love and be fully alive stone cold sober without any additives, it is truly a gift!

No comments: