Thursday, July 31, 2008

6/28/08 flying to Catalina Island..





one of the highlights of our trip to California.. was one day a friend called up and said how'd you like to fly to Catalina?
Sounds great but I have my kids.. I replied... great bring them was the response! After I asked how long my friend had been
flying .. we set a time and off we set. Leaving from Hawthorne airport... I did not even know it was there.. it took longer to get the plane ready and do all the safety checks then to actually fly there. The best part of the flight for the boys who rode in the back of the4 seat airplane was the speaker headsets, they sang, yelled, talked to themselves, etc.. fortunately for us, we could turn them off to our headsets!

We circled around the South Bay, checked out Lex's new house on 20th street where we were staying and headed out to sea for
Catalina, yes, I got to fly the plane for 20 minutes of so, piece of cake.. it is really only taking off and landing that are tricky. Just a little tiny airstrip to land on, don't blink or you'll miss it.. we had a great lunch of buffalo burgers and took a bus down to Avalon.
The boys were very excited to see the mini golf course, so we played this very technical course, most are par 4 and 5.
Then we headed for the beach, sun & swimming and playing in the waves. After ice cream we headed back for the bus, Luc
was fast asleep in my lap as we rode the 30 minutes back up to the airport. You get a bit of a tour of the interior of the island
heading to the airport that normally you can't see as it is protected area.
I was remembering the 2 bike fundraisers I did riding from the Isthmus to Avalon, some 17 years ago, got to see the whole interior of the island, such beauty, great memories. Rich full life.. oh yeah!

No comments: