Wednesday, August 1, 2007

7/31/07 Lassen Volcanic Natl Park


7/31/07

Just arrived at Summit Lake, 6700 feet elevation
right in the middle of Lasson Volcanic National Park,
breathtaking, uncrowded, dense forests,
soothing to the soul.

We drove up from Chico early this morning, since it
was 85 degrees or so, we stopped every hour or so
and jumped in deer creek, the road crossed the creek
several times, the view up was spectacular. We had the
creek all to ourselves, it was clean and refreshing.

To drive through the forest for hours and hours
was revitalizing, there is the feeling of immense life,
everywhere, this silence descended upon me,
i felt whole, home, peaceful. I remember
reading Celestine Prophecy 10 years ago and
them talking about how we recharge in the forest,
the trees breathe new life energy into us.

We took the trail to Bumpass Hell, named after
the white guy who first saw it, at the base we
saw hissing fumaroles (pools), boiling springs,
and active mud pots, evidence of the active
magma below. It made me think of of what
is underneath the surface that you can't see
that is so dynamic and vital, don't believe that
what is see is what is really going on. Awareness
of reality underneath the appearance, the one
true source of all.

The best part of the hike was the purple wildflowers
that covered the meadows and the snow that was
still very much on the towering mountains above.

Hopefully my kids will learn to love hiking, right
now there are at the whine and complain
stage. i suppose i could sing and try better
to entertain them or get them involved
in a game, but i just like to walk quietly, oh well.

So we end the day with a swim in the lake, a
bike ride around the camp and building a big
fire and then mommy gets to sit and write her blog.

Oh i almost forgot, Luc almost got hit by a truck
that was speeding through the campground.
The guy did not even stop (despite my screams)
and i watched him drive around the corner and
park. Of course Luc was unphased, he ran off
to swim with daddy but mommy was quite shaken.
In my mind i heard, "Asshole, he could have at
least stopped and said sorry". As i approached
out of my mouth came "that really scared me, you
almost hit my son". He sincerely apologized, he
told me that he was shaken too, he was not thinking
straight, he was exhausted, and short of breath
from the elevation and then he said that he had
been hit by a car when he was a small boy.
I told him that i really appreciated his apology
and i hoped he had a good night and i walked away
full of love and cried as i walked back to my
campsite. I was overwhelmed with love for my
son and for this man and i was appreciative for
the opportunity to feel at this depth and i
enjoyed a good cry.

No comments: